Key team members:
A deep understanding of retailers.
Bespoke Retail (BR) is one of our key specialist sector groups. In the retail industry, BR provides expert legal advice to household names and SMEs
We advise clients from the point of manufacture to the point of sale, including each stage in-between.
Our lawyers have experience working in-house at large, global businesses, operating within the retail and consumer supply chain, and understand the need for high quality legal advice suited to the commercial needs of businesses operating in dynamic industries.
Our retail expertise.
Our BR lawyers provide retail industry focussed services and are recognised within the sector as legal experts in their industry. With its retail focus, Bespoke has attracted major Australian and international brands to its growing client base, together with other well-known SME retailers.
The team provides practical advice over the spectrum of issues in the retail and consumer industries, including:
- leasing for retail premises, warehouses and distribution centres
- transactional work in the form of business sales and purchases
- product regulation and compliance, including mandatory standards and product recalls
- product packaging and labelling, including food labelling requirements
- new market entry, distribution and supply chain strategy
- domestic and cross-border manufacturing, supply, distribution, transport and warehousing agreements
- intellectual property, including relating to brand protection, packaging and other marketing material
- disruptive technology and ecommerce
- privacy and data protection, including the collection and use of customer data
- returns policies and manufacturer warranties
- social media management, including influencers and brand ambassadors
- customer service training, advertising and promotions advice and copy clearance, including relating to Australian Consumer Law issues
- franchising transactional and advisory work
- trade promotions.
The changing retail landscape.
The retail industry is facing:
- obstacles with the introduction of major ecommerce platforms and greater scrutiny from government regulators
- new opportunities and a greater number of sales channels in a complex but exciting global marketplace.
These businesses regularly face a range of legal issues, including ensuring products and marketing material comply with the relevant laws, negotiating leases for bricks and mortar stores, warehouses and distribution centres, complying with import/export requirements and creating, maintaining, commercialising and enforcing robust intellectual property portfolios.
The threat of product recalls, enforcement actions and competitor, consumer, franchise and landlord disputes remains an ongoing concern.
We offer specialist advice to guide our clients through the multitude of legislative and regulatory requirements within the retail industry.
Bespoke Retail and Consumer is supported by the broader expertise within our firm to assist our clients with general commercial and corporate, intellectual property and real estate matters.